Nevada Legal Services (NLS) has an opening for a Directing Attorney in our Reno office. We are a statewide, nonprofit public interest law firm funded by grants from the Legal Services Corporation, the Nevada Bar Foundation, and other state, federal, and private grants which enable us to provide free legal assistance to low income Nevadans. Our main areas of practice are Housing, Government Benefit Denials, Elder Law, Consumer Issues, Native American, Tenants’ Rights, Family Law, Veteran Rights and Ryan White Part B.
The Directing Attorney is responsible for the overall supervision of legal services provided to clients/community and the day-to-day operations of the local office. This includes supervising, training and motivating staff to provide the highest quality services!
- Maintain an active case load, which consists of state and federal trial and appellate work.
- Supervise the activities of the NLS local office staff attorneys, support staff, and volunteers in providing legal services to clients and client groups.
- Ensure that staff in the local office has accurate, timely, and complete information about the legal issues within the office’s scope of responsibility, including training in their basic field of work.
- Evaluate staff on an annual basis, including the identification of training needs.
- Cooperate with the Director of Litigation in the creation and implementation of priorities and strategic plans.
- Encourage advocate staff to develop specialized knowledge in a substantive area of poverty law and to act as a resource for other staff.
- Conduct weekly case acceptance meetings.
- Ensure that legal services provided are in compliance with LSC regulations and the requirements of other grants to NLS.
- Supervise staff in setting up local community education opportunities relating to legal rights and supervise the preparation of materials for these presentations.
- Work with the administration department in enforcing office policies and procedures.
- Other appropriate functions when necessary.
- Salary DOE – $70,000 -$88,000
- Full-time - 34 hours per week
- Paid sick and vacation leave
- Paid health insurance
- Degree from an accredited law school, admitted to practice law in any jurisdiction, eligible to take Nevada Bar.
- Ability to supervise other attorneys.
- Administrative and/or supervisory experience preferred.
- An ability to relate to the client community being served.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Roberta O’Hara, firstname.lastname@example.org .
Nevada Legal Services (NLS) is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and fosters an environment free of barriers and discriminatory practices. NLS actively promotes mutual respect, acceptance, teamwork and productivity. NLS is committed to maintaining an organization whose staff, Board and clients are diverse in background, experience, race, color, national origin, gender, age, religious reference, marital status, sexual orientation, sensory, mental or physical abilities, veteran status, and other qualities that strengthen the program while reinforcing its commitment to basic fairness. People of color, people who identify as transgender, lesbian, gay, or bisexual, and those with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals needing a reasonable accommodation for the application, interview process or for more information about the program may send a request to the email address provided.