Legal Services NYC (LSNYC) fights poverty and seeks justice for low income New Yorkers. For 50 years, we have challenged systemic injustice and helped clients meet basic needs for housing, health care, personal safety, income and economic security. LSNYC is the largest civil legal services provider in the country, with deep roots in all of the communities we serve. Our neighborhood-based offices and outreach sites across all five boroughs help more than 100,000 New Yorkers annually.
LSNYC seeks a dynamic, creative writer to be part of our four-member fundraising team. The development writer will write, edit, review, proofread, and produce a range of fundraising and marketing materials. He/she will play a critical role in meeting LSNYC’s fundraising goals by preparing persuasive foundation proposals, letters, reports, brochures, event materials, and acknowledgement letters, collaborating closely with the development team and program staff.
- Research, develop, and write compelling foundation proposals, reports, letters of inquiry, fundraising appeals, and other funder-related correspondence to support LSNYC’s strategic priorities
- Write and edit fundraising material for internal and external communications, including the annual report, e-newsletter, donor newsletter, and development sections of the website
- Collaborate with staff to develop compelling client stories
- Analyze, organize, and present data to effectively illustrate the scope and impact of LSNYC’s work
- Maintain funder records in Raiser’s Edge, LSNYC’s fundraising database, and ensure timely submission of letters of inquiry, proposals, and reports
- Participate actively in fundraising strategy and in all LSNYC’s fundraising activities
- Exceptional writing, editing, proofreading, and verbal communication skills. Creative and marketing minded.
- Able to meet deadlines and on-demand requests for written material. Flexible and resourceful.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, work independently, and manage multiple priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; highly collaborative and works well in a team.
- Technologically savvy. Proficient in MS Office, with the ability to learn additional software and Raiser’s Edge, the database used for LSNYC’s fundraising.
- Post-secondary education
- 3-5 years of professional writing experience – experience with development communications and grant writing is highly preferred, including writing fundraising materials.
- Strong foundation research skills. Experience using Foundation Directory Online desirable
Please send a cover letter, resume, and 2 – 3 samples of your best writing to: email@example.com with “Development Writer” in the subject line.
Salary and benefits are determined by the LSNYC Collective Bargaining Agreement. Legal Services NYC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal, state, or city law. People of color, women, people with disabilities, people over 40, and gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people are strongly encouraged to apply.