Ohio State Legal Services Association (OSLSA), is a three-part legal aid program headquartered in Columbus. OSLSA’s mission is to provide civil legal aid and advocacy to combat unfairness and injustice and to help people rise out of poverty.
OSLSA is actively seeking a dynamic, innovative and results-oriented fundraising professional to develop and implement fundraising initiatives as well as serve as a reliable partner throughout our family of organizations.
Working in close collaboration with the Executive Director, Director of the Ohio Poverty Law Center and the leadership team, the Development Director will manage the organizations current portfolio of generous funders and identify and cultivate new funding relationships; evaluate and evolve current fundraising systems and processes to ensure best practices and use of resources; inspire Board and staff members to share the stories of OSLSA’s critically important work in our communities; and raise additional funds to further the mission.
This position will also serve as an integral member of the senior management team and will work closely with staff at all levels to ensure that development goals are aligned with the organization’s strategic goals and day-to-day work.
Are You Someone That:
• Enjoys building relationships and connecting with people?
• Isn’t afraid to ask for money even if the request may be rejected?
• Brings a demonstrated record of achieving or exceeding fundraising goals?
• Excels at developing and implementing strategies and systems to drive success?
• Is motivated, professional and thrives within a collaborative, team-driven environment?
• Balances various stakeholder relationships and differing needs successfully?
• Is attentive, persistent and able to creatively adapt to dynamic situations?
• Has high standards of integrity, authenticity, self-confidence and willing to roll-up your sleeves to get the job done? • Promotes a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and quality? • Is dedicated to improving the lives of low-income individuals in our communities?
• Provide leadership and vision, and act as a partner to the leadership team, to help drive the organization to a new level of success with innovative, effective and creative fundraising strategies • Create and implement development strategies with clearly defined outcomes and an accompanying communications plan to support its success oslsa.org
• Collaborate with Communications to effectively craft relevant, inspiring messaging to engage a variety of funder audiences and promote fundraising events • Evaluate and refine existing cultivation strategy for key potential donors as well as identify and empower the best relationship manager for each prospect/donor • Identify and solicit new individual major donors, foundation partners and law firms or other corporate funders • Plan and prepare for meetings with current and potential supporters and accompany leadership at cultivation meetings, leading some donor meetings independently • Motivate, coach and inspire Development team to achieve success • Creatively engage other staff and Board members, and volunteers in all fundraising initiatives • Provide training and coaching to ensure consistency and effectiveness of fundraising messages and objectives • Design and build best practices systems and processes • Leverage data and analytics to drive efficiencies • Work closely with Chief Financial Officer to ensure accurate accounting and balancing of all financial information • Work closely with Operations Director to ensure compliance and accurate, timely reporting to meet grant and other funder requirements
Demonstrated progressive experience in securing significant grants and gifts from foundations, individuals, corporations or other private funding sources • Strong leadership, planning, management and organizational skills and ability to achieve the successful outcome of multiple complex projects in a dynamic environment • Experience analyzing grant financial data and preparing reports, statements and projections based on data • Demonstrated experience exploring and implementing grant and/or donor management systems and initiatives • Evidence of being a strategic, creative thinker with the ability to develop long and short-range successful development initiatives • High ability to facilitate collaboration as well as build and maintain productive relationships with diverse individuals, groups and organizations • High ability to exercise sound judgement and discretion • Excellent communication skills, both orally and written, with diverse audiences • A commitment to diversity and inclusion both internally and externally • Strong work ethic with an eye for detail • Ability to prioritize workload to manage time and tasks and delegate responsibilities in an effective and efficient manner • Proficiency in Microsoft applications, knowledge of current technologies and commitment to remain up to date with industry best practices • English language proficiency is essential and Spanish/English bilingual skills are a plus. Additional languages – even better • Prior Legal Aid or related work experience a plus, but not required
It is the policy of OSLSA not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, disability, age, ancestry, and military status or any other characteristic protected by law. • The position reports to the Executive Director, is based in Columbus, Ohio and requires regular travel throughout the service area.
Salary is dependent upon level of experience. OSLSA offers an excellent comprehensive benefits package and ongoing training and development opportunities.
Submit resume, writing sample, references and letter of interest to email@example.com with Development Director in the subject line.
In your cover letter, please address the following in order for your application to be considered: OSLSA’s clientele is extremely diverse and all of our clients are low income. To ensure that our agency is best serving our communities, OSLSA strives to promote an evolving set of behaviors and attitudes amongst our staff, as well as policies that enable us to work effectively in all cross-cultural situations, with clients, with our coworkers, and with the community. We see this as a commitment to enhance the provision of our services to all clients; to raise the level of positive client outcomes; and to create an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued.
How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to contribute to our commitment to cultural humility and diversity amongst our staff? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, applying various aspects of your life and personal experiences.
To promote social justice and best serve our clients, OSLSA is committed to maintaining a diverse staff and providing culturally competent services. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups including People of Color and LGBTQ individuals to apply. Bilingual/bicultural candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.