Deputy Director of Program Policy & Litigation
The National Center for Youth Law (NCYL) advances justice by defending the rights of children and improving the systems impacting their lives. We focus on complex challenges that disproportionately impact children and communities of color and on solutions that require multiple public systems to change their policies, practices and culture.
NCYL is committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion. We built our reputation and organizational success on embracing and encouraging the collective sum of individual differences among our staff.
NCYL seeks a dynamic, strategic, Deputy Director of Program, Policy and Litigation, responsible for guiding the organization’s efforts on behalf of children and youth. This position will report to the Executive Director and be based out of either our Oakland or Washington D.C. office.
- Ensuring NCYL’s efforts are both responsive to changing conditions and planned strategically.
- Partnering with the Executive Director to set the organization’s strategic priorities.
- Increasing communication and collaboration within NCYL to deepen our impact.
- Helping to lead efforts aimed at increasing organizational diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Leading a process through which our work on behalf of children and youth increasingly incorporates an explicit focus on racial equity.
- Furthering our commitment to youth engagement.
- Supervising and partnering with Senior Director level staff to guide, plan, and oversee impact litigation, policy development and advocacy, public agency partnerships, research, demonstration sites, communications, and coalition building, across a wide variety of children’s issues.
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time, exempt, position. Salary is competitive at $142,655, $156,966, or $172,651. NCYL provides health, dental, life, generous vacation and sick benefits, commuter benefits, employer contribution to a retirement plan and short-term and long-term disability insurance.
- Passionate about the organization’s mission.
- J.D. Degree, admitted to practice law.
- Knowledge of immigration, child welfare, education, juvenile justice, or children’s health care systems and policy.
- Ability to identify how work at NCYL is interconnected and how our work intersects with deeply rooted structural inequities in our country.
- Experience and success leading multi-strategy campaigns with deep and broad impact.
- Significant experience in one or more of the following: policy development and advocacy; impact litigation; private-public partnerships; operating direct service programs; or research.
- Experience helping to lead efforts aimed at improving internal diversity, equity and inclusion; and experience helping to lead system-change efforts aimed at dismantling structural racism and increasing racial equity.
- Ability to supervise senior staff, including those working in other offices, in a way that is deferential to the expertise of staff and supports and furthers their leadership.
- Ability and willingness to travel, especially to all of NCYL’s office locations.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references through the link below. No phone calls or emails please. Apply at:
NCYL is an affirmative action / equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, age, ethnic background, sex, disability, size, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, color, marital status, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, or genetic information. Applicants of color and those who will increase the diversity of NCYL are strongly encouraged to apply.