Deputy Director for Finance and Operations
Position: Deputy Director for Finance and Operations based in Iowa Legal Aid’s Administrative Office in Des Moines.
Iowa Legal Aid: Iowa Legal Aid, founded in January, 1977, serves low-income Iowans in all 99 Iowa counties through regional offices in Cedar Rapids, Council Bluffs, Davenport, Des Moines, Dubuque, Iowa City, Mason City, Ottumwa, Sioux City, and Waterloo. The program is governed by an 18 person Board of Directors, with a budget of approximately $10 million. Funding for the program comes from 75 or more sources including the national Legal Services Corporation, the state of Iowa, IOLTA, and several local funding sources. The program has a long history of high-quality advocacy, including the representation of clients before state and federal courts at district and appellate levels, state and legislative administrative agencies and a comprehensive community legal education component.
More information about Iowa Legal Aid can be found at www.iowalegalaid.org.
Responsibilities: The Deputy Director for Finance and Operations is responsible for the fiscal and administrative operations of Iowa Legal Aid, is directly accountable to the Executive Director and supervises and assists the Fiscal Manager in performing the day-to-day tasks associated with the fiscal, administrative and human resources operations of the program. In addition, the Deputy Director for Finance and Operations oversees the program’s office and technology infrastructure consisting of the program’s physical office spaces and digital network and hardware. The general job duties of this position in general terms include:
- Serve as the primary contact for the program’s independent public accountants in the performance of the annual audit, including planning, coordination and facilitation of the completion of the program’s annual audit and completion of the annual IRS 990.
- Responsible for development, implementation and oversight of the program’s annual budget and budget revisions and for developing monthly reports to the Development, Finance and Audit Committee of Iowa Legal Aid’s Board of Directors.
- Responsible for assisting and supervising the Fiscal Manager in the management of the program’s cash assets and bank accounts and for reviewing and approving monthly accounts payable, journal entries, travel and expense claims, ACH transactions, and biweekly payroll.
- Ensure the program’s overall compliance with the Legal Services Corporation Audit Guide for Recipients and Auditors, Accounting Guide and Compliance Supplement for Audits of LSC Recipients. Included in these responsibilities is the management of the program in accordance with the regulatory policy set forth in the LSC Act, Regulations and instructions.
- Serve as the chief financial officer for the Iowa Legal Aid Foundation, including the review and approval of financial transactions, managing the Foundation’s financial accounts, preparation of monthly financial reports for board review, and planning and facilitating the completion of the annual IRS 990 nonprofit tax return for the Foundation.
- Provide oversight of fiscal requirements related to non-LSC grants and assist in preparation of grant budgets/documents in conjunction with the program’s development activities.
Human Resource Management
- Serve as group administrator for the program’s health, dental, life, and disability insurance and ensuring compliance with the Affordable Care Act.
- Serve as primary supervisor of Fiscal Manager and Technology Advocate.
- Responsible for planning, coordination and implementation of the acquisition of equipment, software and support related to the program’s telecommunications, networking and computer systems. This also includes other office equipment such as printers and fax machines.
- Manage the program’s telecommunications systems including the planning and implementation of programming changes and upgrades.
- Assist in the oversight and management of Iowa Legal Aid’s websites and other technology projects.
- Coordinate the enrollment and termination of software accounts for all staff and volunteers.
- Ensure compliance with the OMB Uniform Guidelines and the grant conditions associated with other federal grants received by the program.
- Responsible for monitoring and negotiating the program’s real estate leases and the planning, coordination and implementation of contracting with consultants and service providers.
- Assist in collective bargaining.
- Coordinate programwide purchasing including annual bulk supply purchasing and periodic program purchasing.
- Assist with the administration of grants including the preparation of grant reports.
- Coordinate acquisition of professional liability, general liability and multiperil insurance coverage.
- Assist in other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Excellent grasp of accounting principles for not-for-profits; excellent writing skills; prior experience with human resource management; interest in working with the problems confronted by low-income Iowans; able to work as part of a team; highly organized with a proven ability to meet deadlines; competence with technology; excellent problem-solving skills.
Submit letter of application, resume, recent representative writing sample, salary history and expectations, and names, addresses and telephone numbers of at least three professional references to:
Nick Smithberg, Executive Director
Iowa Legal Aid • 1111 Ninth Street, Suite 230 • Des Moines, Iowa 50314-2527