The mission of Maryland Legal Services Corporation is to ensure low-income Marylanders have access to stable, efficient and effective civil legal assistance through the distribution of funds to nonprofit legal services organizations. MLSC seeks a deputy director to oversee grant administration, communications and other activities. The deputy director serves as a key advocate for MLSC’s grantees and the civil legal aid delivery system in Maryland.
Our office is located in downtown Baltimore, and we will work in a hybrid format beginning in September. Occasional travel may be required for meetings and conferences. More information about MLSC can be found at www.mlsc.org.
- With direction from executive director, oversee administration of $20 million+ in grants annually, working closely with staff, board members and grantee organizations. Includes overseeing the application cycle, managing the review process and monitoring compliance.
- Supervise grant program staff, plus other staff for particular projects.
- Represent MLSC through participation on various external committees. Develop and steward partnerships with other organizations for shared projects.
- Provide staff support for Grantee Racial Equity Workgroup and regular convenings of grantees.
- Manage all aspects of MLSC’s annual awards reception, including nomination process, solicitation of sponsors and coordination with vendors.
- Manage MLSC’s website, social media, annual report and email newsletters.
- Respond to external requests for information and produce fact sheets, reports, referrals, data tables, etc. as appropriate.
- Manage grants and donations made to MLSC.
- Assist executive director with external affairs, organizational strategy and administrative functions.
Salary/Benefits: $85,000+ salary depending on experience and skills, plus generous benefits package including health, dental, long-term disability, retirement plan and company-paid parking/transit allowance.
- Strong commitment to access to justice and comprehensive knowledge of civil legal aid, preferably in Maryland.
- Bachelor’s degree or extensive experience in Maryland’s civil legal aid system required. J.D. or other advanced degree may be helpful.
- 7+ years’ experience, preferably in a nonprofit setting, including program management and supervision of staff and/or volunteers.
- Excellent attention to detail, including comfort working with large number sets.
- Experience and comfort with technology. Proficiency with Excel, web content management systems, mass email systems, social media and databases especially helpful.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills, including ability to prioritize and quickly respond to adapting needs.
- Excellent writing, communication and intrapersonal skills.
- Ability to work both independently and with a team.
Send cover letter and resume with “Deputy Director” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention where you saw this posting. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled and will be held in confidence.