Pisgah Legal Services is a community-based non-profit governed by a local Board of Directors. PLS' annual budget consists of individual contributions and grants from governments and foundations that add up to an annual budget of $8 million.
Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina, Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in Western North Carolina. PLS has offices in Asheville, Burnsville, Hendersonville, Rutherfordton, Brevard, Highlands/Cashiers, Newland, and Marshall. With a dedicated staff of ninety-six, including thirty-six attorneys plus supporting staff, and an active pro bono panel of 300 private attorneys, the program provides free services to more than 20,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in the poverty law areas of housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, immigration, and consumer law.
Nature of Position: Work in Asheville as part of a dynamic and experienced leadership team and the entire legal aid staff to support and expand free legal assistance to help a growing number of very low-income people each year to solve problems related to housing, domestic violence, health care, and insufficient income. This position will back up and assist with functions such as payroll and fringe benefits.Responsibilities
- Prepare bi-monthly financial reports for leadership and the Board of Directors.
- Establish and maintain financial policies and procedures for all transaction cycles.
- Design and maintain a system of internal controls assure effective oversight, ensure the accuracy and reliability of financial reporting, and safeguarding of assets.
- Lead annual external audit engagement and tax return preparation.
- Lead annual organizational budget process.
- Provide oversight and review of all accounting transaction cycles including the treasury function for all cash accounts.
- Work with the necessary stakeholders to complete grant applications and to ensure accurate grant reporting, which includes development of project budgets and financial reports.
- Supervise and lead the accounting staff
- Other duties as assigned
- Commitment to PLS’ mission, values and vision.
- B.S., B.A., or Masters Degree in Accounting
- 5 years of experience in non-profit applied accounting principles preferred
- CPA preferred
- Management experience preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with teams and independently.
- Detail-oriented, accurate and organized
- Desire and ability to work in a fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Highly proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Experience working with accounting databases
- Effective and clear communicator
- Valid driver’s license
Salary based on five years or more experience. Excellent fringe benefits, including 401(k), paid leave, as well as life, health, and disability insurance.
E-mail resumé and cover letter describing relevant experience to email@example.com. PLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Pisgah Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.