Contract Staff Attorney
Position Overview: The purpose of this position is to provide civil legal assistance to eligible low income and elderly persons approved by program policies and priorities in areas such as housing; domestic violence related family, public benefits, consumer, elder, and education. This is a contract position for six months, which may be extended for up to an additional six months.
1. Interviews, certifies eligibility and identifies the legal problems of FRLS clients within a specific area of law and provides clients with appropriate legal assistance in the form of advice, referrals, or actual representation.
2. Participates in outreach.
3. Represents clients in court and before administrative agencies as accepted.
4. Provides documentation, statistical information and other records as required by the Managing Attorney, Deputy Director or Executive Director.
5. Participates in case acceptance meetings.
6. Participates in training to keep up CLE’s and required and legally relevant training as may be provided by the program and as mandated by Florida Bar rules.
7. Adheres to office hours, exhibits a strong work ethic and excellent time management skills, communicates and treats clients and staff with courtesy and respect, provides constructive feedback to other advocates (including paralegals) on cases discussed.
8. Serves as a role model to support staff by promoting the values of hard work, high quality advocacy and treating others with courtesy and respect.
9. Attempts to insure accessibility of the local office(s) when necessary by serving clients, including rural clients, non-English speaking clients and client with disabilities.
10. Promotes good relations with public, including client groups, service providers, press, and private bar, attending/speaking at local meetings as appropriate and approved by the Managing Attorney, Deputy Director and/or Executive Director.
11. Develops and maintains familiarity with FRLS policies, as well as requirements of LSC and other funders, and adheres to those policies and requirements.
12. Maintains accurate follow-up system to review cases when needed.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.
Physical Requirements: Must be willing to travel.
Required Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: 1. Juris Doctorate from an ABA accredited law school. 2. Barred in Florida. 3. Knowledge of State and Federal court procedures preferred. 4. Some knowledge of the legal system, commitment to the mission of FRLS and compassion for the clients. 5. Ability to forge positive relationships with prospects and colleagues. 6. Good organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills. 7. Ability to work collaboratively, yet independently. 8. Must be able to effectively and efficiently maximize existing resources. 9. Working knowledge of Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint). Knowledge of CMS a plus. 10. Must be able to effectively work in high-pressure situations which involve deadlines. 11. Bilingual English and Spanish or Haitian Creole preferred, but not required. Working Conditions: Position operates in a professional office environment
To Apply: Send Resume and writing samples to: Email: email@example.com