Consumer Law Coordinator
Under the direction of the Executive Director and SJLS executive team, the Consumer Law Coordinator works with SJLS managers and staff in providing high quality legal service to SJLS clients in a variety of consumer law matters, including bankruptcies, foreclosures, predatory lending practices, mortgage servicing and loan modifications, fair credit reporting, truth in lending, consumer credit discrimination, consumer banking, consumer warranties, access to utility service, student loans, auto repossessions, consumer fraud and unfair/deceptive practices, fair debt collection, debt collection defense, and other consumer law matters affecting poor people; to identify systemic and institutional issues affecting SJLS clients in consumer law matters and to coordinate program-wide strategic initiatives and/or litigation to address those issues; to litigate consumer law cases in state and federal court as lead and/or co-counsel in coordination with attorneys in SJLS local offices; to provide support and training to SJLS attorneys on consumer law matters; to work with Legal Services of New Jersey, including participating in state-wide task forces and strategic indicatives as appropriate; and to act as a liaison between SJLS and the local community and bar associations.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide direct representation to clients as lead or co-counsel, including litigation in state and federal court, in a variety of consumer law matters such as: bankruptcies, foreclosures, predatory lending practices, mortgage servicing and loan modifications, fair credit reporting, truth in lending, consumer credit discrimination, consumer banking, consumer warranties, access to utility service, student loans, auto repossessions, consumer fraud and unfair/deceptive practices, fair debt collection, debt collection defense, and other consumer matters affecting poor people;
- Participate in group representation and where appropriate;
- Participate in staff, working group, and case strategy meetings;
- Work with the Director of Litigation & Advocacy and SJLS staff others in planning, developing and litigating significant impact cases throughout the program service area;
- Assist in developing, coordinating and providing necessary training in consumer law practice;
- Serve as a resource on consumer law matters to other staff;
- Participate in community outreach and community legal education;
- Develop new ideas and methods to provide service to clients;
- Attend and actively participate in management meetings;
- Developing legal education activities in the Legal Services and local Bar communities;
- Supervising staff as is appropriate;
- Preparing or assisting in preparation of reports as needed;
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- A minimum of 10-years’ experience handling cases involving complex consumer litigation in both state and federal court, including bankruptcies, foreclosures, debt collection defense and affirmative consumer litigation involving various debtor and consumer rights and protections.
- Graduation from an accredited law school.
- Admission to the Bar of New Jersey preferred but not required. Must be a member of the Bar in any State and/or be eligible and willing to take the next available New Jersey Bar Exam.
- Ability to relate to low income clients and groups with demonstrated interest in poverty law issues and/or public interest service.
Qualified applicants with an interest in this position should send resume, writing sample and cover letter expressing interest in this position to: Brittani Morris, PHR, SHRM-CP, Director of Human Resources, South Jersey Legal Services, Inc. 745 Market St. 2nd Floor, Camden, NJ 08102 or via email at BMorris@lsnj.org. EOE/AA Employer.