Community Economic Development Attorney
Community Economic Development Attorney
Asheville, NCJob Description
Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) is a community-based non-profit legal aid agency governed by a local Board of Directors. Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina (WNC), Pisgah Legal Services provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in WNC. The organization currently has offices in Asheville, Brevard, Burnsville, Hendersonville, Highlands-Cashiers, Marshall, Newland, and Rutherfordton. With over 100 dedicated staff, including over 30 attorneys plus program staff, and an active group of 300 volunteer attorneys, the program provides free services to over 20,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in the poverty law areas of housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, immigration, and consumer law.
PLS is seeking a full-time N.C. licensed attorney, or attorney eligible for admission by comity, to work in our Community Economic Development team on issues related to job, asset, and affordable housing development for low-income people. Transactional legal skills including legal entities, contracts, and real estate would be useful in furthering projects and initiatives in small businesses, social enterprises, cooperatives, housing development, finance, and local government. The team uses an intersectional analysis of barriers to economic opportunity for people of color and low-income persons and prioritizes clients and projects that address systemic bias. When applying, please speak to your experience in working in and with diverse communities on grassroots and community-led initiatives. Additionally, legal aid experience and/or fluency in Spanish would be helpful.
Passion for promoting justice and overcoming barriers facing low-income people, being a creative and zealous staff member and a team-player, and a demonstrated commitment to achieving lasting results for clients and low-income communities are all important. By ensuring that the lowest-income people in Western North Carolina have access to holistic services and support for their ideas and projects, we will increase opportunities for positive outcomes at the individual and community levels.
- Adhere to PLS intake process for CED clients and current program priorities
- Provide transactional legal representation to clients in civil matters that are not fee generating but have an identifiable social impact.
- Engage in representation on community-identified priority matters and matters which seek to effectuate systematic change to conditions that adversely affect the community.
- Research areas of substantive law to address client concerns or to advocate social impact strategies.
- Provide direct transactional legal services to clients, such as guidance on organizational structuring, drafting and negotiating a variety of transactional legal documents, and offering compliance advice.
- Keep abreast of the changes and developments in the law and disseminate information to staff, volunteer attorneys, and the public as appropriate.
- Keep supervisor and Managing Attorneys, as appropriate, advised of case statuses.
- Work with EAGLE and MAVL attorneys on developing substantive knowledge of our practice area, provide research material, and generally be available for questions and assistance.
- Provide legal education, legal training, and targeted outreach within our community.
- Work closely with other staff attorneys doing similar work in an effort to support colleagues and increase PLS capacity for CED
- Work in PLS offices per the hybrid office policy for team building, collaboration and to provide community-based services.
Salary ranges from $51,819 – $98,297 depending on experience.
Our salary scale is predetermined based on the years of relative professional work experience that qualify for this position to ensure equity in pay.
Employees are eligible for medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverage the 1st of the month following the start date. Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) pays 100% of the Employee and 50% of the Dependent Cost for BCBS Medical and Dental coverage. PLS pays 50% of the Employee Coverage Cost for BCBS Vision coverage. PLS pays 100% of Long-Term & Short-Term Disability Coverage, Life Insurance Coverage of 5x base salary + an additional $15,000 Life & AD&D Coverage. 401k Retirement Plan after 6 months of employment. Additional Fringe Benefits includes Paid Parental Leave, 12.5 Company Holidays, 22 Paid Leave Days, Paid Sabbatical Leave for Attorneys, Employee Assistance Program for entire household and a great working environment with work life balance! Full benefits guide available at: https://www.flipsnack.com/5de6a5a7c6f/pisgah-legal-services-2022-benefits-guide/full-view.html
COVID-19 Safety Information:
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, Pisgah Legal Services has worked tirelessly to promote evidence-based practices across our entire organization. With this in mind, as of January 4th, all Pisgah employees will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccine. Employees who are unvaccinated or have an approved exemption will be required to provide verified weekly COVID-19 test results. We currently have COVID-19 safety precautions in place such as requiring face masks while meeting with clients or co-workers, providing outdoor meeting areas to meet with clients while wearing masks, limiting onsite visits by meeting virtually or by phone with clients. Pisgah Legal Services also conducts temperature checks at our location upon arrival.
- N.C. licensed attorney or licensed in another jurisdiction and eligible for admission by comity (a/k/a admission by reciprocity or admission by motion).
- Demonstrated experience with transactional law (or ability to learn) used to support grassroots initiatives and community-led groups.
- Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income people and communities.
- Demonstrated skills at socio-economic and cultural sensitivity and ability to assist upset or ill people in programs outside of CED team.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with teams and independently.
- Fluency in Spanish would be an asset.
- Valid driver's license
Submit your online application with resume and cover letter through our Career Center located at https://www.pisgahlegal.org/jobs
PLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Pisgah Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with our Human Resources department.