Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) is a community-based non-profit legal aid agency governed by a local Board of Directors. PLS has an annual budget of $7.5 million from a multitude of funding sources. Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina (WNC), Pisgah Legal Services provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in WNC. The organization currently has offices in Asheville, Brevard, Burnsville, Hendersonville, Highlands-Cashiers, Marshall, Newland, and Rutherfordton. With a dedicated staff of 91, including thirty-six attorneys plus program staff, and an active group of 300 volunteer attorneys, the program provides free services to more than 20,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in the poverty law areas of housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, immigration, and consumer law.
Nature of the Position: The Communications Specialist supports the implementation of a wide range of internal and external communications and media policies, strategies and tools. Working closely with the Director of Communications, they will develop targeted and compelling communications for PLS’ audiences, primarily focusing on community outreach to potential clients in need of Pisgah Legal’s WNC Economic Recovery Program. The Communications Specialist will develop and maintain a digital outreach strategy aimed at sharing legal information, and issues-based communications, focusing on (a) boosting the rate of insured low-income people and (b) reducing the number of children living below the federal poverty line -across the 18 westernmost counties of N.C. With a goal of increasing accessibility, especially to health insurance and tax credit resources, they will share information with low-income and vulnerable people in WNC, numerous non-profit and government partners, and the public at large.
- Manage the development, distribution and maintenance of publications pertaining to the WNC Economic Recovery Program, as well as other PLS programs. Publications include but not limited to newsletters, brochures, videos, social media and website
- Develop, film, edit, produce and distribute short, impactful videos for advocacy campaigns, outreach efforts, policy changes, and other initiatives
- In coordination with the Director of Communications, actively engage, cultivate, and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding the WNC Economic Recovery Program, public announcements, events and related PLS programs and projects
- In collaboration with other team members, manage PLS’ social media accounts and ensure they are supporting PLS’ advocacy, outreach, and fundraising efforts
- Coordinate the appearance of all PLS print and electronic materials including but not limited to use of logo, brochures and website.
- Manage relationship with outside vendors including printers, graphic designers and website administrators.
- Contribute to management of website including content development
- Use communications tools to support advocacy efforts, maintaining and updating document templates as needed
- Work with legal and program units to brand PLS, increasing and maintain consistency in external communications and community education materials
- Create data infographics, one-pager explainer flyers and other materials for the WNC Economic Recovery Program and other PLS Programs, with a focus on accessibility and aesthetics
- Support Director of Communications in implementing and measuring success of a comprehensive communications and public relations program
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related field
- Two to five years of experience working in communications, marketing or public relationships. Non-profit experience a plus.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, with the ability to express complex ideas and issues clearly and succinctly.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to details
- Experience with overseeing the design and production of print materials and publications, as well as experience in digital media
- Must be able to meet all essential job functions.
- Ability to work with low-income clients and communities within a multi-ethnic/ multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment
- Ability to effectively collaborate with coworkers
- Proficiency in MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress and video editing software
Salary ranges from $37,344 - $73,650, depending on experience. Excellent fringe benefits, including 401(k) retirement plan, as well as life, health, and disability insurance.
E-mail resumé and cover letter describing relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. PLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Pisgah Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.