Communications & Marketing Manager
Are you interested in joining an organization dedicated to increasing access to justice while addressing systemic inequities among the most vulnerable members of the Greater Los Angeles area? If yes, LAFLA is the place for you!
The Organization: LAFLA is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved—leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. With more than 90 years of service, LAFLA is the first and most experienced legal aid organization in Greater Los Angeles. LAFLA has more than 170 employees, including more than 80 attorneys, who provide free services and resources on a broad range of civil legal issues that impact health, safety, and self-sufficiency. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people find their voice, regain control of their lives, and build a brighter future. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA also engages in impact litigation to help enact long-term systemic change— actively collaborating with a network of public and private partners to expand access to justice, identify needs in the communities we serve, and change laws and policies that adversely affect the underserved. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
POSITION: Reporting to the Chief Development Director, the Communications & Marketing Manager will serve as an integral member of the management team. The Communications & Marketing Manager will be responsible for the implementation of the LAFLA’s 2022 Communication & Marketing Plan and directly manage activities that promote, enhance, and protect the organization’s brand reputation and highlight LAFLA’s leadership on poverty law related issues. This individual will be an ambassador for the organization and will need to build relationships with the media.
The Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) is the frontline law firm for low-income people in Los Angeles and is currently accepting applications for the position of Communications & Marketing Manager. LAFLA seeks to achieve equal justice for poor and low-income people in greater Los Angeles. We change lives through direct representation, systems change, and community education.Examples of Duties:
- Responsible for implementing and measuring the success of a comprehensive communications and public relations program that will enhance LAFLA’s image and position within the community it serves, funders and the general public, and facilitate internal and external communications.
- Ensure articulation of LAFLA’s desired image and position; assure consistent communication of the image and position, both internally and externally.
- Manage the development, distribution and maintenance of all LAFLA publications including but not limited to digital newsletters, advocacy reports, brochures, annual report, annual gala videos, social media and website.
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding LAFLA’s programs, special events, public announcements and other projects.
- Serve as spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote or impact LAFLA. Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting materials as needed.
- Coordinate the appearance of all LAFLA print and electronic materials including but not limited to use of logo, brochures and website. Manage relationship with outside vendors including printers, graphic designers and website administrators.
- Supervise Marketing & Development Coordinator and provide mentorship.
- Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Oversee management of website including content development.
- Additional projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related field is required.
- Five to seven years of experience working in communications, marketing or public relations, preferably in the non-profit sector.
- Extensive successful writing and editing experience with variety of print and online communications media.
- Highly collaborative style with demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of marketing, communications and public relations activities.
- Strong, creative, strategic, analytical, organizational and personal marketing skills.
- Creative and thoughtful on how new media technologies can be utilized.
- Demonstrated successful experience with writing press releases, making presentations, and negotiating with media; familiarity with Los Angeles media a plus.
- Experience overseeing the design and production of print materials and publications.
- Commitment to working with shared leadership and cross-functional teams.
- Excellent and persuasive communicator.
- Self-reliant, good problem solver and results oriented.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a time.
- Strong computer skills, familiarity with computer design and publishing tools.
- Passion for LAFLA’s mission.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Communications & Marketing Manager” in the subject line.
INTRODUCTORY PERIOD – A one-year introductory period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.
VACCINATION POLICY AND COVID-19 PROTOCOLS
LAFLA requires all staff, including new hires, to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 with the exception of staff who are entitled to a reasonable accommodation due to a medical disability or sincerely held religious belief under the law, unless doing so would pose an undue hardship. Staff will be required to submit proof that you are fully vaccinated upon hire.