POSITION: Communications Director
LOCATION: Ron Olson Justice Center
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Continuous until position is filled
Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) is the frontline law firm for low-income people in Los Angeles and is currently accepting applications for the position of Communications Director. LAFLA is committed to promoting access to justice, strengthening communities, fighting discrimination, and effecting systemic change through representation, advocacy, and community education.
ORGANIZATION: Founded in 1929, LAFLA has approximately 123 employees including 64 attorneys. LAFLA has an operating budget of more than $16 million and operates five neighborhood offices and four court-based offices self-help centers and three domestic violence clinics. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org.
POSITION: Reporting to the Executive Director and working closely with the Chief Development and Marketing Director, the Communications Director will serve as an integral member of the senior management team. The Communications Director will be responsible for the implementation of the LAFLAs 2018 Communication Plan and directly manage activities that promote, enhance, and protect the organization’s brand reputation and highlight LAFLA’s leadership on poverty law related issues. This individual will be an ambassador for the organization and will need to build relationships with the media.
- Responsible for implementing and measuring the success of a comprehensive communications and public relations program that will enhance LAFLA’s image and position within the community it serves, funders and the general public, and facilitate internal and external communications.
- Ensure articulation of LAFLA’s desired image and position, assure consistent communication of the image and position, both internally and externally.
- Manage the development, distribution and maintenance of all LAFLA publications including but not limited to digital newsletter, advocacy reports, brochures, annual report, social media and website.
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding LAFLA’s programs, special events, public announcements and other projects.
- Serve as spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote or impact LAFLA. Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting materials as needed.
- Coordinate the appearance of all LAFLA print and electronic materials including but not limited to use of logo, brochures, website. Manage relationship with outside vendors including printers, graphic designers and website administrators.
- Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them
- Oversee management of website including content development.
- Additional projects as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related field is required, an advanced degree is preferred.
- Seven to ten years of experience working in communications, marketing or public relations in senior management role, experience with non-profit sector preferred.
- Extensive successful writing and editing experience with variety of print and online communications media.
- Highly collaborative style; demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of marketing, communications and public relations activities.
- Strong, creative, strategic, analytical, organizational and personal marketing skills.
- Creative and thoughtful on how new media technologies can be utilized.
- Demonstrated successful experience with writing press releases, making presentations, and negotiating with media; familiarity with Los Angeles media a plus.
- Experience overseeing the design and production of print materials and publications.
- Commitment to working with shared leadership and cross-functional teams.
- Excellent and persuasive communicator.
- Self-reliant, good problem solver, results oriented.
- Strong computer skills, familiarity with computer design and publishing tools.
- Passion for LAFLA’s mission.
HOW TO APPLY -Please submit a resume to Diane Talamantez, Human Resources, Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles, 1550 W. 8 th Street, Los Angeles, CA 90017; email@example.com or via fax at (323)801-7945.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD - A one year probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of age, race, sex, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability.