Civil Rights Law Coordinator
South Jersey Legal Services, Inc., seeks a qualified and experienced attorney to serve as Civil Rights Law Coordinator. Under the direction of the Executive Director and SJLS executive team, the Civil Rights Law
Coordinator works with SJLS managers and staff: (1) in providing high quality legal service to SJLS clients, consistent with Legal Services Corporation federal funding restrictions, in various civil rights and antidiscrimination matters affecting poor people because of race, creed, color, national origin, nationality, ancestry, age, sex, familial status, marital/civil union status, religion, domestic partnership status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, mental or physical disability, and/or other legally protected groups and statuses; (2) to identify systemic and institutional issues affecting SJLS clients’ equality and civil rights and to coordinate program-wide strategic initiatives and/or litigation to address those issues; (3) to litigate civil rights cases in state and federal court as lead and/or co-counsel in coordination with attorneys in SJLS local offices; (4) to work and develop ties with community groups combatting systemic and institutional discriminatory practices affecting the rights of people; (5) to provide support and training to SJLS attorneys on civil rights matters; to work with Legal Services of New Jersey, including participating in state-wide task forces and strategic indicatives as appropriate; and (6) to act as a liaison between SJLS and the local community and bar associations.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide direct representation to clients as lead or co-counsel, including litigation in state and federal court, in a variety of civil rights and anti-discrimination matters such as discrimination in housing,
- public benefits, language access, reasonable accommodations, and other issues affecting poor people;
- Participate in group representation where appropriate;
- Participate in staff, working group, and case strategy meetings;
- Work with the Director of Litigation & Advocacy and SJLS staff others in planning, developing and
- litigating significant impact cases throughout the program service area;
- Assist in developing, coordinating and providing necessary training in civil rights and antidiscrimination practice;
- Serve as a resource on civil rights and anti-discrimination law matters to other staff;
- Participate in community outreach and community legal education;
- Develop new ideas and methods to provide service to clients;
- Attend and actively participate in management meetings;
- Developing legal education activities in the Legal Services and local Bar communities;
- Supervising staff as is appropriate;
- Preparing or assisting in preparation of reports as needed;
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- A minimum of 10-years’ legal experience, including civil rights and anti-discrimination litigation;
- Graduation from an accredited law school;
- Admission to the Bar of New Jersey preferred but not required. Must be a member of the Bar in any State and/or be eligible and willing to take the next available New Jersey Bar Exam;
- Ability to relate to low income clients and groups with demonstrated interest in poverty law issues and/or public interest service.
Qualified applicants with an interest in this position should send resume, writing sample and cover letter expressing interest in this position to: Brittani Morris, PHR, SHRM-CP, Director of Human Resources, South Jersey Legal Services, Inc. 745 Market St. 2nd Floor, Camden, NJ 08102 or via email at BMorris@lsnj.org.
South Jersey Legal Services, Inc., is a private non-profit law firm whose mission is to provide high quality civil legal services to low-income residents of Atlantic, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Gloucester, Monmouth, Ocean and Salem Counties in New Jersey.