Chief Executive Officer
Memphis Area Legal Services (MALS) seeks a Chief Executive Officer to lead this non-profit organization in its mission to secure justice and protect the rights of low-income families in the western Tennessee counties of Shelby, Fayette, Tipton, and Lauderdale who are unable to pay for legal services in civil matters. MALS provides high quality legal representation and counsel to individuals and families facing critical, sometimes life-threatening, situations such as domestic violence, mortgage foreclosure, eviction or homelessness, wrongful denial of health care, food stamps, unemployment compensation, consumer fraud, and predatory lending. MALS also focuses on the special challenges and needs of children, the elderly, and veterans.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) will lead a strong, client-centered law firm with an experienced and dedicated team of attorneys and support staff located in offices in Memphis and Covington. The CEO will bring leadership, administrative, and litigation experience to build on MALS’s extensive collaborative relationships with the courts, state and local bar associations, and other legal and social service providers. The CEO reports directly to the MALS Board of Directors. The CEO will work collaboratively with the Board to develop the organization’s vision and strategic direction of the organization. The CEO will directly supervise the senior management team and Executive Assistant.
MALS has an annual budget of approximately $4.5M million with funding from the Legal Services Corporation, as well as various federal, state, and local sources of grant funding and private donations..
The CEO is a highly energetic individual with proven leadership, coaching and relationship management experience.
For a detailed description of responsibilities and qualifications, please click here.
Salary is commensurate with experience and in consideration of the organization’s salary scale. Total benefits package include health insurance, life insurance, vacation, holiday, personal and sick leave.
• Licensed attorney in Tennessee or have the ability to become licensed by reciprocity
• In depth knowledge and understanding of issues that impact low income persons and
commitment to the legal rights of low income and other vulnerable individuals
• At least ten (10) years of management experience preferred, including supervision of staff,
financial management, budget development, compliance with grant and contract requirements,
and grant reporting
• Strong resource development, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to
engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
• Leadership of a legal aid organization or non-profit, preferably a Legal Services Corporation
(LSC) funded agency preferred
• Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
• Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing Board
• Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
• Action oriented, adaptable and innovative approach to business planning
Position is open until filled, but for full consideration, please apply by May 21, 2019
• Applications for the position should include a cover letter, detailing the candidate’s
qualifications for the position, a resume, contact information for three professional references,
and salary requirements
• Applications should be e-mailed to: HR@ malsi.org in Word or PDF format
• Inquiries regarding this position may be directed to Elaine St. Clemmons, Chief Operations
Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org
MALS is an E.O.E.