Chief of Development & External Relations
Legal Aid of Nebraska, the only statewide non-profit law firm providing free civil legal assistance to low-income Nebraskans, seeks a Chief of Development & External Relations to join the team in Omaha. Legal Aid’s mission is to address poverty through civil legal services, and is a leader in housing, income, benefits, consumer, health, and other legal advocacy. As a progressive, flexible employer, Legal Aid seeks to "make equal justice happen" throughout Nebraska, with significant organizational growth over the last three years. The Chief of Development & External Relations is responsible for the leadership, management, and coordination of Legal Aid of Nebraska’s development and related communications efforts. The Chief is a member of Legal Aid's Executive Team, and works closely in partnership with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors to develop, implement and coordinate fund development and institutional advancement.
Development & Donor Relations:
- Coordinate and oversee all fundraising, fund development, and donor relations initiatives to support short and long term institutional goals of organization.
- Develop and implement annual fundraising plan to secure support from individuals, law firms, foundations, corporations, government, and other significant non-profit funding sources.
- Partner with Executive Director to coordinate advancement and growth of funding base, including research of new donor prospects, cultivation of existing donor base, and conducting of personal solicitations.
- Manage and oversee maintenance of donor database, donor correspondence, acknowledgments, tax receipts, and donor relations communications.
- Coordinate and oversee all fundraising activities, including annual giving, major giving, planned giving, grants, special events, direct mail appeals, and corporate giving.
- Oversee, manage, and ensure professional execution of fundraising events, including developing and maintaining event budgets.
- Coordinate and oversee creation and delivery of private foundation, corporate, and government grant proposals by development staff and contractors.
- Participate through Executive Team with creation and execution of annual organizational budgets.
- Supervise development staff and contractors in fulfillment of all institutional development goals.
- Develop, implement and manage an organizational communication, marketing, and public relations plan, with activities aligned with annual fundraising plan and institutional goals.
- Coordinate and oversee all such communications to donors, constituents, etc.
- Coordinate and oversee the design and production of all printed and online information promoting and describing organization and/or services.
- Coordinate and oversee media releases and relations with traditional media, including relationship with reporters, editors, columnists, and bloggers.
- Coordinate and oversee all social media activity by organization, including website, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Partner with Executive Director to supervise communications staff and contractors in fulfillment of all institutional communications goals, including marketing, public relations, community education, outreach, and partnership activities.
- Bachelor’s degree and five years of relevant experience required.
- Knowledge of Raiser's Edge or similar donor database experience desired.
- Advanced computer skills and knowledge of MS Office Suite.
- Advanced knowledge of fund development and maintenance for nonprofit organizations.
- Knowledge about or experience with legal profession desired.
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills.
- Legal Aid of Nebraska offers excellent supervision, training and support, state-of-the-art technology, and team-focused work environments. Experience-based competitive salary. Bonus pay for relevant bilingual capability. Excellent benefits package. Moderate travel throughout the state of Nebraska is required.