Chief Attorney - Anne Arundel/Howard County Office (2116)
Salary Range:$100,000.00 To 115,000.00 Annually
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) seeks a creative and experienced leader to serve as its Chief Attorney for the Anne Arundel/Howard County office who will supervise, guide and lead the office in its provision of high-quality legal services to low-income clients.
Since 1911, Maryland Legal Aid has provided high-quality legal aid to low-income people and communities, and vulnerable individuals – helping to remedy their civil legal issues and become empowered to overcome challenges, achieve stability and independence, and reach their goals. From deep connections to clients and communities, MLA identifies and seeks to remedy systemic barriers.
MLA is dedicated to preserving the basic human needs of its clients, particularly as they navigate the justice system. MLA staff, pro bono attorneys, community partners, and general supporters all play important roles in ensuring that the legal playing field is leveled so that those most in need achieve equal access to justice. It is because of this diverse support that MLA is able to be a voice to tens of thousands of economically disadvantaged and vulnerable Marylanders every year.
Supervise and oversee the staff and advocates in the Anne Arundel and Howard County office in the delivery of legal services including advice and representation, outreach and advocacy in the areas of family, consumer, veterans, older adults, public benefits, Child in Need of Assistance, behavioral health, mental health and housing law in an efficient, effective, client-centered, and compassionate manner.
Staff Supervision and Development
- Provide positive leadership, guidance and supervision to a staff that currently consists of 1 supervising attorney, staff attorneys, paralegals, law clerks, and administrative staff;
- Supervise Child in Need of Assistance legal work and contract management in Anne Arundel and Howard Counties;
- Lead local implementation of the Access to Counsel in Evictions efforts in Anne Arundel and Howard Counties;
- Lead hiring efforts to attract talented staff who are committed to the mission and work of Maryland Legal Aid;
- Build a cohesive, supportive team that works well with one another, develops objectives and priorities for the office; and maintains open communication;
- Ensure that effective, culturally competent legal assistance is provided to low-income clients in an efficient, zealous, client-centered, and compassionate manner;
- Conduct impactful advocacy designed to address systemic problems affecting individuals and communities living in poverty;
- Guide the professional development of staff, including co-counseling of cases; reviewing substantive legal work; providing meaningful assessments and evaluation of staff and their advocacy efforts, caseloads and productivity;
- Encourage staff engagement with the community by doing outreach and education;
- Identify and address staff training needs
- Assist and assure staff comply with required time-keeping and grant-reporting obligations;
- Carry a caseload commensurate with the Chief’s expertise and that accounts for managerial responsibilities for the office;
- Balance the significant demand for services with the need to engage in impactful and effective advocacy for clients; and
- Conduct case reviews and assign cases to staff consistent with Maryland Legal Aid’s case and matter acceptance guidelines.
Strategy and Leadership
- Participate in statewide task forces and statewide advocacy efforts;
- Develop relationships and deep knowledge of the communities served by the office and the resources available to address client needs;
- Engage community leaders to create connections and enhance Maryland Legal Aid’s reputation in the communities served;
- Cultivate effective relationships with the judiciary and private bar;
- Lead efforts to increase pro bono representation of clients;
- Participate in and further MLA’s strategic plan, including developing the office’s own plans that align with MLA’s strategic plan;
- Ensure administrative and regulatory requirements are met;
- Be part of a statewide management team and strive to improve the overall quality of Maryland Legal Aid’s service delivery throughout the state;
- Assist with the MLA’s resource development efforts, including, but not limited to, the identifying of possible funding sources, making presentations to funders, and the drafting of grant applications and progress reports;
- Address client grievances.
Qualifications: B.S./B.A. Degree; a J.D. or L.L.B. Degree; admission to a State Bar and/or qualify for admission to Maryland Bar; plus at least seven (7) years’ experience in legal services and/or law firm management. Excellent verbal and written communications skills, command of technology, especially Microsoft Office and case management systems; appellate experience, involvement in the community, and leadership experience a must.
Maryland Legal Aid is committed to equity, justice and inclusion. As an equal opportunity employer, MLA seeks to hire employees from diverse backgrounds and perspectives that are reflective of the communities we serve, including people with disabilities, people of color, women and members of traditionally underrepresented groups.
Apply for Chief Attorney using the link below: