Attorney (Public Benefits)
Community Legal Aid SoCal (CLA SoCal) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that was founded in 1958 for the purpose of providing free civil legal services to low income individuals and seniors. It has two offices in Orange County and two offices in Southeast Los Angeles County, and strives to meet the needs of its service community. CLA SoCal seeks an experienced, energetic, motivated, personable and effective leader to assist clients with issues related to government benefits.
● Active Bar membership in any U.S. jurisdiction;
● Minimum one year of legal experience;
● Experience in representing clients in public benefit cases before Federal and local agencies, including the CA Office of Administrative Hearings;
● Experience engaging in systemic advocacy on behalf of our client community;
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Legal Work Experience
● Knowledge of public benefits law that affects low-income clients;
● Litigation experience in State, Federal and/or Immigration Court, preferably in public benefits law and immigration proceedings;
● Experience defending families and individuals who have been denied, terminated from, or had reduced essential safety net benefits such as CalWORKs, Food Stamps (or SNAP), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Section 8, CalFresh and General Relief or General Assistance (GR/GA);
● Experience defending non-citizens gaining access to Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants (CAPI);
● Proficiency in dealing with people empathetically and effectively, while providing excellent legal services;
● Prior commitment to serving low income individuals;
● Familiarity with Immigration, Housing, and Family Law preferred; and
● Bilingual preferred, Bilingual in Spanish/Vietnamese is a plus.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
● Provide direct legal services to low-income individuals who have been denied, terminated from, or had reduced essential safety net benefits;
● Identify significant legal needs and issues for low-income clients in need of public benefit assistance and develop plans, including litigation and advocacy, to address those needs;
● Outreach to low-income communities where individuals are comfortable seeking assistance;
● Conduct trainings and outreach to community-based organizations and community groups;
● Develop and coordinate legal clinics with volunteers and other community collaboratives;
● Coordinate with other assistance organizations in the area by providing referrals and implementing partner meetings to assure appropriate and efficient coverage of services;
● Flexibility to work evenings and weekends to attend community events, outreach and engagement, hold and assist with legal clinics;
● Ensure grant deliverables are met under various funding grants and to prepare all necessary narratives and reports for grant funding; and
● In conjunction with the Directing Attorney and Director of Pro Bono, recruit, train, and supervise volunteer attorneys and law students.
We offer an outstanding benefit package which includes medical/dental, 401k with employer contribution; life insurance; and long-term disability policies. Paid holidays | vacation | sick leave
TO APPLY, send resume, cover letter and two writing samples to Mary Lou Czerner at firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled.
Community Legal Aid SoCal is an Equal Opportunity Employer.