Attorney Program Director of Pro Bono Services
The Program Director of Pro Bono Services is a dynamic new attorney role to support the organization’s large and growing base of attorney volunteers through the Mountain Area Volunteer Lawyer Program (MAVL) and the Emeritus Program (EAGLE) for retired attorneys. Pisgah Legal Services engages 200-300 pro bono attorneys per year to assist our clients with urgent legal matters and is known for our innovative use of volunteers to leverage our capacity to provide services to low-income people in our communities. The Program Director develops connections with law firms and individual attorneys and ensures that volunteers have training and support to handle pro bono cases. The Program Director develops and implements innovative, impactful pro bono projects pairing the needs of low-income residents of WNC with the expertise and availability of volunteer attorneys. In these projects, the Program Director works with a diverse set of people and partners in our region and across NC, including health and human services providers, grassroots organizations, immigrant advocacy groups, housing partners, local bars and the NCBA, and others. The Program Director integrates diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility principles and practices into PLS pro bono programs. The Program Director provides supervision to emeritus attorneys working with PLS with an NC pro bono law license and is part of a creative and collaborative pro bono team. The Program Director works with the team to coordinate appreciation and recognition of, and regular communication and connection with pro bono attorneys. The Program Director ensures effective case management related to Pisgah Legal’s pro bono programs with careful attention to detail. The Program Director makes case referrals to pro bono attorneys and takes on administrative work related to pro bono activities, as needed. Key Responsibilities Program Planning & Development • Work with PLS program managers and directors to develop PLS’s annual and long-term programmatic and strategic pro bono goals and projects that align community needs and the availability of pro bono volunteers and are integrated with other PLS legal programs. • Create innovative approaches to addressing the justice gap with the involvement of pro bono attorneys. Recruitment, Training & Support of Volunteer Attorneys • Recruit private attorneys and retired attorneys to participate in Pisgah Legal’s pro bono programs in an 11 county region. • Maintain pro bono relationships with law firms and retired attorneys throughout WNC, and with law firms and corporate law departments in other areas of NC. • Coordinate training, mentoring and support for pro bono volunteers, including two CLE programs/year. • Coordinate and supervise the operation of pro bono legal clinics, including administrative tasks such as scheduling, oversight, copying and coordination of language and accessibility services • Assist in volunteer appreciation and recognition, including events, publications, and social media. • Assist with legal law clerk internships as needed. Pro Bono Case Management & Administration • With Managing Director, ensure that PLS has internal policies and processes to deliver high-quality pro bono services, including case oversight, reporting, and quality assurance. • Develop and utilize technology systems to promote and administer pro bono opportunities, including an online portal of training/resources for volunteers and an online list of pro bono cases for referral. • Help assess cases for appropriateness for volunteer attorneys, make referrals, and monitor pro bono cases assigned to volunteers. • Collaborate with staff attorneys to close pro bono cases. • Ensure updated, quality maintenance of legal case files. • Ensure clear communication to PLS clients about their pro bono referral. Other Program Activities • Support grant writing and reporting for pro bono programs. • Collaborate with Mg. Director and communications staff to promote PLS pro bono activities and opportunities and nominate volunteers for local and NCBA awards. • Participate in relevant local and state bar and pro bono committees, events, and activities. • Travel routinely to Pisgah Legal’s branch offices and other locations in WNC for job-related meetings & events. • Other duties as assigned. Salary/ Benefits Salary ranges from $54,819 – $101,297, depending on experience. Our salary scale is predetermined based on the years of relative professional work experience that qualify for this position to ensure equity in pay. Pisgah Legal Services is a Living Wage Certified Employer. Employees are eligible for medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverage the 1st of the month following the start date. Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) pays 100% of the Employee and 50% of the Dependent Cost for BCBS Medical and Dental coverage. PLS pays 50% of the Employee Coverage Cost for BCBS Vision coverage. PLS pays 100% of Long-Term & Short-Term Disability Coverage, Life Insurance Coverage of 5x base salary + an additional $15,000 Life & AD&D Coverage. 401k Retirement Plan after 6 months of employment. Additional Fringe Benefits includes Paid Parental Leave, 12.5 Company Holidays, 22 Paid Leave Days, Paid Sabbatical Leave for eligible staff, Employee Assistance Program for entire household and a great working environment with work life balance! Our complete benefits guide is available at: https://www.flipsnack.com/5de6a5a7c6f/pisgah-legal-services-2022-benefit...
• Must be able to meet all essential job functions.
• Demonstrates commitment to PLS’ mission, values, and vision.
• Possess a high level of legal proficiency, and continuously develop and expand legal skills and
• Knowledgeable about civil legal issues which impact low-income clients, and the ability to identify a
variety of legal strategies to resolve problems of the low-income community.
• Experience with pro bono programs and volunteer management, a plus.
• High degree of comfort in asking volunteers to take pro bono cases.
• Ability to implement and improve case management system protocols and policies.
• Demonstrates the ability to supervise, train and mentor volunteers.
• Demonstrates the ability and knowledge to develop and manage pro bono projects.
• Excellent planning and organizational skills, with strong attention to detail.
• Willingness to do administrative tasks, when needed, in cooperation with team members.
• Strong written and verbal/interpersonal communication skills, including presentation skills.
• Desire and ability to work in a fast-paced environment, ability to prioritize multiple tasks
• Highly proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher), and
aptitude for working in database systems.
• Excellent communication (written and verbal), presentation and networking skills.
• Law degree with NC license or ability to secure NC license.
• Reliable transportation and ability to travel within Pisgah Legal’s multi-county service area when
• Availability for occasional evening or weekend hours for clinics and events.
• Valid driver’s license.