Legal Aid Justice Center seeks a Community Lawyer to engage the greater Petersburg community via outreach, active listening, information-gathering, legal advocacy, and litigation regarding housing, education, and criminal legal issues of importance to clients directly impacted by social, economic, and racial injustice.
- Community outreach and education of LAJC’s mission and programs
- Relationship building and partnership development with individuals and organizations that will advance positive responses and interventions to community needs
- Developing grassroots organizing strategies to close the justice gap in low-wealth communities
- Mobilizing community members to engage in community advocacy strategies
- Handling both individual and impact legal matters on behalf of clients and client groups
- Lending elbow grease and brain power to LAJC’s ongoing strategic advocacy priorities
- Strong commitment to social, economic, and racial justice
- Virginia Bar membership, or ability to waive in, or willingness to sit for the bar exam within 6 months of hire
- Demonstrated commitment to working with individuals and/or communities directly impacted by economic and racial injustice
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team
- Access to reliable transportation and willingness to travel statewide occasionally and to LAJC’s other offices
- Strong oral advocacy, research and writing skills
- Mission-aligned experience (work or lived) advocating for economic and racial justice
Email a cover letter, a relevant writing sample, and resume to Miriam Torian at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you’re able, please submit your application as a single PDF titled “[date submitted in yyyy.mm.dd format][last name][first name][position sought].” Please include "Attorney (Petersburg)” in the email subject.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis, and candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Questions about the role? Contact Miriam Torian or email@example.com.