Attorney (Medical Legal Partnership)
POSITION: Attorney - Medical Legal Partnership
LOCATION: Long Beach Office
SALARY: $62,377 - $71,060/annual DOE, excellent benefits
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Continuous until position is filled
Are you interested in joining an organization dedicated to increasing access to justice while addressing systemic inequities among the most vulnerable members of the greater Los Angeles area? If yes, LAFLA is the place for you!
The Organization: LAFLA is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved—leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. With more than 90 years of service, LAFLA is the first and most experienced legal aid organization in Greater Los Angeles. LAFLA has more than 180 employees, including more than 80 attorneys, who provide free services and resources on a broad range of civil legal issues that impact healthy, safety, and self-sufficiency. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people find their voice, regain control of their lives, and build a brighter future. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA also engages in impact litigation to help enact long-term systemic change—actively collaborating with a network of public and private partners to expand access to justice, identify needs in the communities we serve, and change laws and policies that adversely affect the underserved. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
Our on-site Medical Legal Partnerships work with healthcare professionals to identify and help patients reach their optimal health. MLP attorneys and paralegals holistically advocate on behalf of patients in substantive legal areas impacting the social determinants of health such as housing, family law, immigration, public benefits, and re-entry. This is a great opportunity for advocates seeking legal experience in a variety of substantive areas.
LAFLA is currently accepting applications for the position of Attorney - Medical Legal Partnership
NOTE – This position is ideal for recent law graduates not yet admitted to the bar, provisionally licensed attorneys or individuals newly admitted to the bar. As part of a special program created using designated funds, there is no assurance of ongoing funding or employment beyond June 2022.
- Substantive knowledge of housing, family law, immigration law, re-entry work, and/or government benefits preferred;
- Ability to work effectively with hospital personnel, staff, volunteers, students, attorneys, and community members;
- Demonstrated ability to function professionally and effectively within a highly stressful environment;
- Excellent written and verbal communication;
- Experience with diverse client populations, including poor and low-income communities; and
- Willingness to work beyond a minimum 7.0-hour workday, including evening and weekend meetings and events, and workweeks more than 35 hours when caseload or other obligations so necessitate.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Work effectively with medical personnel and in a medical environment to address the social determinants of health;
- Handle caseload, counsel and advise clients on their legal rights, conduct legal research and writing and represent clients in court;
- Coordinate and conduct community education and outreach at community forums, continuing legal education seminars, and medical clinics;
- Assume general administrative responsibilities including grant compliance, timekeeping, and case management;
- Collaborate with community organizations;
- Advocacy may include civil litigation, administrative hearings, policy in substantive legal areas, and/or other issues affecting impoverished communities; and
- Other duties as assigned.
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION – LAFLA offers a diverse environment with competitive compensation based on comparable public interest salaries. We also offer a generous benefits package for full-time employees including medical, dental, and vision for employees and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability, long-term care insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan. Employees may also qualify for bilingual supplements, law student loan reimbursements, and a cell phone stipend. Please visit https://lafla.org/get-involved/careers for our salary scale for union, non-management staff.
HOW TO APPLY - Please submit a cover letter and resume online to email@example.com. Include “Attorney - Medical Legal Partnership” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD - A one-year probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.
NOTE: LAFLA requires all staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with the exception of staff who are entitled to a reasonable accommodation due to a medical disability or sincerely held religious belief under the law. You will be required to submit proof that you are fully vaccinated upon hire.
Please submit a cover letter and resume online to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Attorney - Medical Legal Partnership” in the subject line.