Attorney (Immigration and Trafficking)
Texas RioGrande Legal Aid seeks an experienced attorney to provide immigration and trafficking-related legal services.
The candidates must be self-directed, empathetic, and motivated. Among other duties, the attorney will:
• Provide intake, advice and counsel, and direct legal representation to clients in immigration legal matters before the DHS, Immigration Courts, BIA, USCIS and AAO, including assisting clients in filing U- visa, T- visa, Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), SIJS and asylum/withholding applications, and, where appropriate, other forms of removal defense, etc.
• Coordinate all aspects of a client’s case, including client communication, relevant research, drafting personal statements, preparing immigration forms, writing briefs, drafting court motions and orders, and advocacy with law enforcement and other agencies.
• Screen and identify clients who may be considered victims of labor and sex trafficking. Assist trafficking survivors in reporting to and collaborating with law enforcement and applying for relevant immigration relief and other non-immigration legal remedies (e.g. protective orders, civil litigation). Assist with trafficking-related grants.
• Work collaboratively with a team of attorneys, paralegals and staff in the relevant TRLA office and throughout the TRLA service area.
• Mentor colleagues in immigration law and case handling.
• Maintain and establish relationships with community partners and immigration service providers, including, but not limited to anti-trafficking coalitions.
• Maintain a working knowledge of significant policies, laws and trends in immigration law, particularly as it impacts low-income immigrants.
• Prepare and conduct relevant community outreach events and presentations including, but not limited to, direct outreach and education related to identification of trafficking.
• JD from accredited university
• Admitted and in good standing with a state bar, Texas bar preferred.
• A minimum of 2 years (5-10 preferred) of direct experience representing vulnerable non-citizens in their applications for relief, including U-visa, VAWA-related, and T- visa applications;
• In-depth knowledge of the wide range of immigration remedies available to clients
• Meticulous organizational habits, attention to detail, and ability to manage large amounts of information, establish priorities, and meet deadlines
• Excellent legal analysis, written and oral advocacy, and presentation skills
• Responsible, self-initiating, and focused, with proven ability to work independently and also collaboratively in a team-based decision-making environment
• Strong interpersonal skills and record of cultural competence and cross-cultural communication skills; experience working with clients, staff, and interns of diverse backgrounds
• Dedication to and experience in serving low-income, non-citizen, vulnerable populations
• Fluency in English and Spanish (written and spoken) strongly preferred
Click below to apply: