Attorney (Housing And Communities, Small Business Project)
Are you interested in joining an organization dedicated to increasing access to justice while addressing systemic inequities among the most vulnerable members of the Greater Los Angeles area? If yes, LAFLA is the place for you!
The Organization: LAFLA is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved—leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. With more than 90 years of service, LAFLA is the first and most experienced legal aid organization in Greater Los Angeles. LAFLA has more than 170 employees, including more than 80 attorneys, who provide free services and resources on a broad range of civil legal issues that impact healthy, safety, and self-sufficiency. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people find their voice, regain control of their lives, and build a brighter future. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA also engages in impact litigation to help enact long-term systemic change—actively collaborating with a network of public and private partners to expand access to justice, identify needs in the communities we serve, and change laws and policies that adversely affect the underserved. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org.
The Housing and Communities Workgroup prevents unfair displacement and preserves and expands affordable housing. It also defends the rights of unhoused individuals and families and provides legal support to community-based organizations seeking to build healthy, economically vibrant communities.
Small Business Project: This is a new project to support small business owners .with a special focus on businesses impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
LAFLA is currently accepting applications for the position of Attorney.
NOTE – This position is part of a special program created using designated funds. There is no assurance of ongoing funding or employment beyond 12 months.
- Active membership in the California State Bar;
- Litigation experience in Superior and Federal Courts;
- Public policy advocacy and/or community lawyering experience is considered a plus;
- Excellent written and verbal communication;
- Experience with diverse client population and a commitment to promoting anti-racism;
- Experience handling a variety of legal matters impacting poor and low income populations;
- Ability to manage multiple active cases simultaneously; and
- Willingness to work beyond a minimum 7.0 hour workday, including evening and weekend meetings and events, and workweeks in excess of 35 hours when caseload or other obligations so necessitate.
- Provide direct representation and assistance to small businesses related to commercial leases and other commercial contracts.
- Advise clients on business structure and entity formation, file forms, and draft related documentation.
- Develop case strategies and work plans for matters assigned;
- Conduct community presentations, workshops and webinars related to topics impacting small businesses.
- Participate in legal clinics and provide counsel and advice to clients.
Please submit a cover letter and resume online to email@example.com. Include “Attorney-Housing and Communities (Mobile Home Advocacy)” in the subject line.
INTRODUCTORY PERIOD – A one-year probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to maintaining a diverse staff and we particularly encourage applications from people of color, women, people with disabilities, the LGBTQ community, and others whose background may contribute to more effective representation of low-income people and underserved communities.
**NOTE: LAFLA requires all staff to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 with the exception of staff who are entitled to a reasonable accommodation due to a medical disability or sincerely held religious belief under the law. You will be required to submit proof that you are fully vaccinated upon hire.Benefits & Compensation
LAFLA offers a diverse environment with competitive compensation based on comparable public interest salaries. We also offer a generous benefits package for full-time employees including medical, dental, and vision for employees and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability and long-term care insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan. Eligible employees may also qualify for bilingual supplements, law student loan reimbursements, and a cell phone stipend. Please visit https://lafla.org/get-involved/careers/ for our salary scale for union, non-management staff.