Attorney (Family Law Workgroup)
Are you interested in joining an organization dedicated to increasing access to justice while addressing systemic inequities among the most vulnerable members of the greater Los Angeles area? If yes, LAFLA and our flexible hybrid work environment is the place for you!
The Organization: LAFLA is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved—leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. With more than 90 years of service, LAFLA is the first and most experienced legal aid organization in Greater Los Angeles. LAFLA has more than 180 employees, including more than 90 attorneys, who provide free services and resources on a broad range of civil legal issues that impact healthy, safety, and self-sufficiency. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people find their voice, regain control of their lives, and build a brighter future. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA also engages in impact litigation to help enact long-term systemic change—actively collaborating with a network of public and private partners to expand access to justice, identify needs in the communities we serve, and change laws and policies that adversely affect the underserved. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
The Family Law Workgroup assists survivors of domestic violence with restraining order cases and other family law relief in connection with divorce, paternity, and custody and support matters. Assistance is provided through court-based domestic violence clinics, a domestic violence hotline, and a virtual family law clinic.
LAFLA is currently accepting applications for the position of Attorney – Family Law Workgroup.
· Active member in the California State Bar;
· Litigation experience in State Court in family law proceedings;
· Demonstrated knowledge of domestic violence and family law;
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
· Demonstrated ability to function professionally and effectively under pressure;
· Experience working with diverse client populations, including low-income communities;
· Bilingual preferred; and
· Willingness to work beyond a minimum 7.0 hour workday, including evening and weekend meetings and events, and workweeks in excess of 35 hours when caseload or other obligations so necessitate.Examples of Duties:
· Represent survivors in domestic violence and family law cases in court;
· Staff and supervise volunteers/students at domestic violence and family law clinics at local courthouses weekly;
· Identify significant legal needs and issues for survivors of domestic violence in the area of family law and develop plans, including litigation and policy strategies, to address those needs;
· Develop appropriate outreach materials and disseminate information about rights and benefits available to survivors of domestic violence related to family law;
· Conduct domestic violence-related family law trainings to client communities, partner organizations, community groups and related service providers; and
· In conjunction with the Pro Bono Director, recruit, train and supervise volunteer attorneys and law students.
Please submit a cover letter and resume online to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Family Law Attorney” in the subject line.
INTRODUCTORY PERIOD – A one-year introductory period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.
NOTE: LAFLA requires all staff to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 with the exception of staff who are entitled to a reasonable accommodation due to a medical disability or sincerely held religious belief under the law. You will be required to submit proof that you are fully vaccinated upon hire.Benefits & Compensation
LAFLA offers a diverse environment with competitive compensation based on comparable public interest salaries. We also offer a generous benefits package for full-time employees including medical, dental, and vision for employees and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability and long-term care insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan. Employees may also qualify for bilingual supplements, law student loan reimbursements, and a cell phone stipend.