Attorney (Economic Stability Workgroup)
Are you interested in joining an organization dedicated to increasing access to justice while addressing systemic inequities among the most vulnerable members of the Greater Los Angeles area? If yes, LAFLA is the place for you!
The Organization: LAFLA is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved—leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. With more than 90 years of service, LAFLA is the first and most experienced legal aid organization in Greater Los Angeles. LAFLA has more than 150 employees, including more than 70 attorneys, who provide free services and resources on a broad range of civil legal issues that impact healthy, safety, and self-sufficiency. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people find their voice, regain control of their lives, and build a brighter future. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA also engages in impact litigation to help enact long-term systemic change—actively collaborating with a network of public and private partners to expand access to justice, identify needs in the communities we serve, and change laws and policies that adversely affect the underserved. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
The Workgroup: The Economic Stability Workgroup (ESWG) helps people obtain benefits to fulfill basic needs (food, shelter, medical care, and services to attain self-sufficiency); fights wage theft and denial of unemployment insurance benefits; and advises on wrongful terminations and discriminatory employment practices. ESWG also helps people who cannot afford to repay their student loans due to disability or who have attended for-profit colleges that engaged in predatory, deceptive, or illegal practices. In addition to direct service, ESWG engages in policy advocacy and impact litigation to address systemic problems.
LAFLA is currently accepting applications for the position of Attorney.
· Active membership in the California State Bar with five to seven years experience;
· Demonstrated commitment to serving the needs of low-income people;
· Litigation experience, including case evaluation, legal research and writing, discovery, negotiations, and administrative hearing or trial experience preferred;
· Familiarity with government benefits programs such as CalWORKs, CalFresh, Medi-Cal, General Relief, Supplemental Security Income, In-Home Supportive Services, Foster Care;
· Previous public interest experience preferred; and
· Willingness to work beyond a minimum 7.0 hour workday, including evening and weekend meetings and events, and workweeks in excess of 35 hours when caseload or other obligations so necessitate.Examples of Duties:
· Provide direct representation to individuals at government benefit hearings;
· Represent clients in SSDI, SSI and CAPI appeals;
· Maintain caseload including work on affirmative litigation cases;
· Participate in major policy and other administrative advocacy work
· Participate in and support LAFLA and other legal services task forces;
· Assist in the development and implementation of creative, alternate legal strategies on behalf of low-income clients; and
· Regularly assist with client intake
Please submit a cover letter and resume online to email@example.com. Include “Attorney-Economic Stability” in the subject line.
INTRODUCTORY PERIOD – A one-year introductory period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.
NOTE: LAFLA requires all staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with the exception of staff who are entitled to a reasonable accommodation due to a medical disability or sincerely held religious belief under the law. You will be required to submit proof that you are fully vaccinated upon hire.Benefits & Compensation
LAFLA offers a diverse environment with competitive compensation based on comparable public interest salaries. We also offer a generous benefits package for full-time employees including medical, dental, and vision for employees and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability and long-term care insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan. Employees may also qualify for bilingual supplements, law student loan reimbursements, and a cell phone stipend.