Associate Director of External Relations
Legal Aid Chicago encourages applicants with relevant volunteer and work experience, who have experiences with our client communities or individuals who identify as a person of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrant, or otherwise having backgrounds and experiences that are underrepresented in the legal profession to apply.
For over 50 years, Legal Aid Chicago has provided free civil legal assistance to people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago. Each year our attorneys, volunteers, and staff help resolve civil legal problems, including domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions. Legal Aid Chicago was founded on the philosophy that all individuals are entitled to quality civil legal representation, regardless of their income. We work to ensure that poverty is not an impediment to justice by dismantling the legal barriers that perpetuate inequality. Legal Aid Chicago staff live our mission through our core values of equity, excellence, inclusion, kindness, and respect.
Position: Legal Aid Chicago is seeking a full-time Associate Director of External Relations. Under the supervision of the Chief External Relations Officer, the Associate Director of External Relations raises new and increased monies for Legal Aid Chicago, especially through creating new partnerships with law firms, corporations, potential funders, and individual donors. The Associate Director of External Relations oversees PR, communications and marketing, including social media and e-communications, and develops best in class marketing initiatives for elevating the Legal Aid Chicago brand beyond the legal community. The Associate Director also leads the Ambassadors Board, comprised of professionals who support Legal Aid Chicago through fundraising and other initiatives.
- Reach out to new law firms and corporations, build new relationships, and help forge new partnerships/new Annual Sponsors
- Act as spokesperson for Legal Aid Chicago to connect with new supporters
- Lead the Ambassadors Board (AB), which includes attending after-hour AB meetings and cultivation events
- Supervise External Relations Officer and volunteer
- In collaboration with the Chief of External Relations, assist in managing and executing special events, including the two biggest fundraisers of the year (the June Annual Luncheon and the fall Justice Is Served event)
- Update Legal Aid Chicago’s website content relevant to programs, events, and history
- Design and implement annual marketing campaigns (with fundraising an integral component) and see them through from start to finish
- Strategize and manage all agency communications on behalf of the agency (including social media, the Legal Aid website, digital and print pieces)
- Create and maintain a dynamic list of public relations contacts and serves as the PR liaison for Legal Aid Chicago; cultivate relationships with PR contacts throughout the city for both digital and print communications
- Develop and advise team on best marketing practices
- Other duties as assigned
Salary and Benefits:
The Associate Director position begins at $81,000.
Legal Aid Chicago offers a comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance, effective the first day of employment
- Time Off: 21 vacation days and 18 sick days accrued within the first year of employment
- 14 paid holidays, including one floating holiday
- Six weeks of Paid Parental Leave at 100% of the salary after six months of employment
- 401(a) retirement plan with an employer contribution after 3 months of employment
- $100,000 Basic Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment insurance, at no cost
- Access to Employee Assistance Program resources, at no cost
- Monthly internet reimbursement
- Legal Aid Chicago is a 501(c)(3) non-profit and is an eligible employer for the federal public service loan forgiveness program
The ideal applicant will have:
- Bachelor’s Degree required with a minimum of 5 years of professional fundraising experience in a nonprofit environment or similar experience
- Minimum 2 years of Raiser’s Edge or other CRM database system experience
- Experience supervising staff
- Demonstrated success in building relationships
- Excellent writing, proofreading, and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, service orientation, ability to multi-task effectively in a varied, high volume environment, judgment and decision-making
- A proven track record of successful fundraising and marketing campaigns
- Experience in writing communications and press releases
- Creative spirit and ability to make decisions independently
- Superior time management skills and ability to handle multiple projects with attention to detail and meet deadlines
- Strong proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Sensitive to the needs of Legal Aid Chicago’s clients and community
Legal Aid Chicago offers a hybrid work environment. Our offices, located in downtown Chicago at 120 S. LaSalle Street, is ADA accessible and has convenient access to public transportation and local expressways.
To Apply: Submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and the contact information of two primary professional references and one alternative professional reference. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the position will remain open until filled. Apply here.
Legal Aid Chicago is firmly committed to creating a diverse workplace and is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and therefore does not discriminate on the basis of creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age religion, marital or parental status, alienage, disability, political affiliation or belief, military or military discharge status, or ex-offender status, or any other protected status.
If an accommodation is needed to complete this application, contact Human Resources at email@example.com.