Overview: The Campaign for Equal Justice (“CEJ”) is the statewide support organization for legal aid programs in Oregon. CEJ was started in 1991 by private lawyers and has raised over $27 million for legal aid. The Campaign takes a strategic approach to increasing resources for legal aid.
The Associate Director of the CEJ assists in all aspects and program areas of the Campaign including: Annual Fund Coordination (annual fundraising campaign and endowment); Education and Outreach; and Other Funding Initiatives (including state and federal funding and foundation support). The Associate Director will also be involved with general management responsibilities associated with operating a non-profit.
The Associate Director reports directly to the Executive Director.
• Assist in development, oversight and coordination of all aspects of annual fundraising campaign to plan and achieve annual fundraising goals;
• Help develop themes for the annual fundraising campaign;
• Recruit, manage, and support CEJ volunteers including staffing committees;
• Provide campaign progress reports to committees, management, and Board;
• Assist in developing, overseeing and organizing Portland and Regional CEJ events (approximately 10 events per year);
• Assist in developing and producing annual fundraising campaign materials (solicitation letters, brochures, developing client stories, handouts, etc.).
Education and Outreach
• Assist with designing curriculum for access to justice CLEs and other CLEs and presentations;
• Assist in communications strategy and execution. This includes working on big picture messaging, media relations (press releases and articles), and developing CEJ materials;
• Write and produce regional newsletters about legal aid offices and local communities;
• Help recruit, train and schedule legal aid lawyers and volunteers to assist with CLEs and other presentations;
• Help design and produce the CEJ’s Annual Report.
Other Funding Initiatives (State and Federal Funding and Foundation Support)
• Help prepare materials, strategy and coordinate grass roots participation for state legislative advocacy;
• Assist with preparation for ABA Lobby Day;
• Time permitting, assist in identifying grant opportunities for legal aid and CEJ.
• Assist ED with the oversight and management of other CEJ staff, as needed;
• Assist with authorizing payroll, and overseeing bank deposits;
• Help ED oversee the preparation of donor acknowledgments, mailings, and other ongoing office systems;
• Provide input and support in developing and improving efficient office systems;
• Assist with audit preparation;
• Assist with Board Committees and meetings as needed.
Classification: Regular, full-time, exempt
Compensation: Salary range $48,000 - $58,000 DOE, plus benefits
• Problem-solving ability and strong attention to detail;
• Experience managing, organizing, motivating, and directing volunteers and staff;
• Fundraising experience;
• Demonstrated ability to organize own work, coordinate and implement projects, set and communicate priorities, meet deadlines and follow up on assignments with minimal direction;
• Ability to work cooperatively;
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills (including an aptitude and willingness to do public speaking);
• Flexibility and the ability to produce high quality work in a fast-paced environment;
• Strong organizational and administrative skills;
• Demonstrated commitment to the mission of promoting access to justice;
• Demonstrated computer skills: proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Outlook, Excel, Publisher); experience working with databases, especially fundraising (Abila Fundraising 50 is a plus);
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent; graduate work in non-profit management or a law degree preferred;
• Minimum of four years’ work experience with increasing responsibility (fundraising experience preferred but not required);
• Equivalent education/experience may substitute for all minimum qualifications.
• Valid driver’s license.
Position requires the employee to be able to communicate verbally and by e-mail. Employee must be able to move and/or lift up to 50 pounds on occasion and be able to travel occasionally throughout the state (primarily day trips but also a handful of overnight trips during the year). Position requires frequent computer use.
Application: cover letter and resume
Submission Deadline: October 12, 2018
Email to: Shari Nilsson at email@example.com