Assistant Litigation Director
Position: Iowa Legal Aid seeks an Assistant Litigation Director to help lead our program’s impact advocacy, and to ensure that we continue to provide the highest possible quality of civil legal services to low-income and other vulnerable individuals. The Assistant Litigation Director is an executive level staff position, working directly under the supervision of the Litigation Director. This position can be located in any one of Iowa Legal Aid’s ten regional offices.
Responsibilities: In conjunction with the Litigation Director, the Assistant Litigation Director shall -
· Develop strategies for Iowa Legal Aid’s impact advocacy and lead those efforts;
· Provide litigation support to advocates in all of Iowa Legal Aid’s offices and projects;
· Help guide and manage Iowa Legal Aid’s appellate practice;
· Assist in oversight of our unified intake system;
· Manage development of content for client publications, CLEs, and our website;
· Develop training curriculum and other programs for the development and evaluation of advocate staff;
· In some situations, provide more in-depth management for certain special projects;
· Provide guidance on LSC, ethics, and other regulatory compliance; and
· Other duties as assigned.
Our organization: Founded in 1977, Iowa Legal Aid is a statewide, LSC-funded civil legal services firm with a long history of providing high-quality direct services advocacy for low-income people, veterans, seniors, new Iowans, and other vulnerable groups. Our program has a decades-long history of impact advocacy, defending and strengthening the rights of our clients in protection from domestic abuse, housing, consumer protection, collateral consequences, access to healthcare and public benefits, education, disaster relief, and other areas critical to survival and economic empowerment. Iowa Legal Aid provides services to all 99 counties through 10 regional offices, and maintains a number of innovative and nationally recognized special projects.
Closing Date: Applications accepted until position filled.
Qualifications: Applicants must be licensed to practice law in Iowa, or be available for the next scheduled bar examination or eligible for admission on motion. A minimum of seven years of experience practicing law is desired. Consideration will be given to applicants with five to seven years of experience who demonstrate a proven record of complex, creative, and novel litigation, as well as project management & leadership. Applicants must possess a demonstrated interest and breadth of knowledge in poverty law, and have a strong commitment to providing a full range of legal services to low-income people. Prior experience working in and managing a multi-office intake system is preferred. The ability to lead others, think strategically, and simultaneously handle multiple complex tasks is required.
Applications: Submit a letter of application, resume, three professional references and a recent representative legal writing sample to
Iowa Legal Aid
1111 Ninth Street, Suite 230
Des Moines, Iowa 50314-2527