Assistant Clients’ Rights Advocate
Assistant Clients’ Rights Advocate 1
Individuals who are Deaf or Disabled are encouraged to apply.
SALARY RANGE (Depending on Experience): $19.29 - $25.84 hourly
EXCELLENT BENEFITS including 8% 401k Match
WHO WE ARE
Disability Rights California (DRC) is a statewide, non-profit legal organization dedicated to advancing the rights of Californians with disabilities. DRC works to achieve fairness and justice for people with disabilities through individual and impact litigation, state and federal policy and regulatory advocacy, and community education and training.
Office of Clients’ Rights Advocacy (OCRA)
Disability Rights California has entered into a contract with the Department of Developmental Services (DDS), State of California, to provide Clients’ Rights Advocacy services at each of the 21 regional centers located statewide. The Assistant Clients’ Rights Advocate (ACRA) 1 position is funded under the contract with DDS.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Assistant Clients’ Rights Advocate supports the Clients’ Rights Advocate providing administrative support to ensure efficient operation of the office and by providing basic information and advice to callers. The Assistant Clients’ Rights Advocate serves as the first person to hear about a regional center client’s issue when they call for help. The position engages with consumer populations from diverse cultural backgrounds and providing outreach support to vulnerable communities.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); plus 1-2 years related experience and/or training (Ex: Admin Asst 1, Intake Specialist).
- Associate's (AA) degree in a related field or equivalent from two-year college or technical school OR Bachelor's (BA or BS) degree in a related field from four-year college OR equivalent combination of experience and/or training.
- Ability to read, write, and speak Spanish.
- Knowledge of legal and other resources throughout the state, which are potentially available to individuals with developmental disabilities.
- Contacts with disability organizations and/or within disability communities.
- Contacts with multi-ethnic organizations and/or within multi-ethnic communities.
- Experience working with and/or sensitivity to persons with disabilities and/or experience working with and/or sensitivity to persons from multi-ethnic communities.
- Life experience as a person with a disability OR direct experience as a caregiver of a family member with a disability.
Ability to travel occasionally for activities such as out-of-town meetings, training, or outreach activities up to 25% of the time.
The following describes general working conditions and requirements of the job, which can be performed with or without disability-related reasonable accommodations. Duties are performed in a two-person office environment. Duties regularly require sitting using computer equipment and talking or hearing. Duties occasionally require periods of standing, stooping, kneeling, and crouching primarily related to filing and processing paperwork. May be required to lift and/or carry 25 pounds occasionally.
Working at DRC is more than just a job - it is a rare opportunity to do what you are good at while making a difference! DRC offers competitive salaries and a generous benefit package. To view the detailed job description and complete the application process here.