Accounting and Finance Manager
Norristown / Montgomery County, PA
Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania, Inc. (“LASP”) seeks a full-time Accounting and Finance Manager who will direct all aspects of LASP’s finance and accounting operations. The Accounting and Finance Manager will have the opportunity to be promoted upon demonstrated ability.
LASP is a public interest law firm providing civil legal services to low-income individuals and families with a staff of 90 employees working in 9 offices in Bucks, Chester, Delaware, and Montgomery Counties in the Philadelphia suburbs. Its annual budget exceeds $8,000,000 and includes a complex patchwork of over 30 public and private funding sources. Cases handled focus on fundamental human needs including housing, protection from domestic violence, family law, and basic income support. LASP also provides fresh starts for those facing obstacles to decent housing and employment due to expungable criminal records or debt. The position is based in Norristown at LASP’s administrative office at 151 W. Marshall Street, in the historic former Scheidt Brewery Corporate headquarters. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required. Applicants may apply for a medical or religious exemption. Staff currently work on a hybrid basis depending on the current state of the Coronavirus in the service area. The successful candidate will be expected to perform in-office work as well as be able to work remotely as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Maintaining the general ledger including ensuring all transactions are appropriately recorded and all accounts are reconciled monthly;
- Ensuring payroll is posted to the General Ledger and 941 forms reconcile and are submitted, timely and accurately;
- Reviewing and monitoring grant agreements ensuring appropriate recording and reporting on unrestricted and restricted activity;
- Ensuring timely and accurate preparation of a monthly cost allocation report for LASP’s major state funder;
- Scheduling and preparing timely contract invoices and billing;
- Evaluating and maximizing cash flow position, including managing account receivables and accounts payables;
- Serving as liaison with government and private funders on fiscal matters, including budgets, budget modifications, and funder audits;
- Gaining expertise in fiscal policies and requirements of major funders including the Legal Services Corporation, the Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network, and others;
- Assisting in preparation and review of monthly financial reports in accordance with US GAAP for presentation to LASP’s key stakeholders including the Board of Directors, government regulatory agencies, foundations, and public and private funders. Attend LASP Board meetings, which occur 5 times annually.
- Helping to prepare the annual corporate and program budgets;
- Assessing, researching, recommending, and ultimately, implementing, the use of new technologies and automated processes to streamline LASP’s finance and accounting functions;
- Coordinating the annual financial statement audit, including the preparation of workpapers and supporting schedules, and responding to audit requests;
- Ensuring adherence to all LASP agency fiscal policies and procedures, and updating those policies and procedures when needed;
- Staying up-to-date and ensuring LASP’s compliance with new accounting pronouncements;
- Supervising the finance and accounting staff supporting the work of the department. Currently there is one bookkeeper.
SUPERVISOR: The Accounting and Finance Manager will report directly to LASP’s Executive Director but will also have significant interaction with other LASP executive staff, including the Deputy Directors for Operations and Advocacy, the Development Director, and the Grants and Compliance Specialist.
SALARY AND COMPENSATION: Depending on experience and qualifications with a minimum of $85,000.00. Excellent benefits including employer-funded 401K, health and ancillary benefits, and liberal leave provisions including paid holidays, personal, vacation, and sick leave.
LASP is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate in the recruitment, selection, or advancement of employees on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, genetic information, or on any other basis prohibited by law.
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree in accounting; MBA or CPA preferred. Four or more years accounting or finance experience required. Supervisory experience preferred. Proficiency with financial database and accounting software systems (LASP currently employs Sage 50 software), Microsoft Office Suite, Excel, and others. Ability to prioritize duties and maintain strict confidentiality on sensitive matters; sound exercise of discretion and judgement with the highest degree of professionalism. Commitment to social justice and a mission-driven organization and Executive team who strives to maximize resources to serve low-income and underserved populations in LASP’s service area. Excellent verbal and written communication, analytical, and organizational skills.
TO APPLY: Send resume and cover letter to Elise Wilson-Coles, Human Resources Manager, at Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania to Hiring@lasp.org. Position will remain open until filled.